Friday, October 26, 2012

Oklahoma City National Memorial

I was in Oklahoma City recently, to present my collaborative work Circles Within Circles to the Jewish University program there. My host from the Oklahoma Jewish Federation, Marcy Price, took me to the very moving Oklahoma City National Memorial, which commemorates the 168 lives lost to domestic terrorism in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred Murrah Federal Building. I had the honor and pleasure of meeting the director of the Memorial, Kari Watkins, and Marcy was my guide through the experience of encountering this exceptional national shrine.

There is a chain link fence bordering the official memorial. It has been kept full of personal remembrances, spontaneously brought to the site and maintained over the past decade and a half by fiends family, and caring citizens.














These photographs are primarily of the materials left on the fence.

They reminded of the shrines I have been documenting in DC. Hearts thrown open...

No comments: