Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Kapelye, 1992

I just scanned a set of 35mm color transparencies from the very first klezmer band I ever photographed. In December 1992 I was assigned to document two rising ensembles that were at the forefront of the then-new klezmer revival. The work was commissioned by Jeff Rubin, then the editor of Bnai Brith's Jewish Monthly magazine. The first band I met was Kapelye, fronted by Henry Sapoznik, with Adrienne Cooper z'l, on vocals, Ken Maltz on clarinet,  Eric Berman z'l, on tuba, and Marty Laster, z'l, fiddle. The pictures were made at the band's rehearsal space in the Workman's Circle Building in Manhattan. I took Eric Berman and Ken Maltz outside for the picture with the Empire State Building glowing in the background. 

The following night I met and photographed the Klezmatics at the Bottom Line club. This began a long, happy, and fruitful journey. Eyes and ears opened wide.

Stay tuned for the book in progress.

Note- all the originals are in color.
















No comments: