Monday, January 06, 2020

Stand Up To Antisemitism Vigil | No hate. No fear.

I documented the Stand Up To Antisemitism Vigil, held in solidarity with the local Washington DC Jewish community and allies. About 400 people rallied in Takoma Park, Maryland. Thousands more came together in similar gatherings across the country.

Given the recent attacks on American Jewish people, places of worship, and business occurring in the United States, this gathering came together to express their care for one another, and to promote tolerance, education, and dialogue.
Numerous clergy of a range of faith traditions spoke, along with local leaders including Mayor Kate Stewart, US Congressman Jamie Raskin, Montgomery County Executive Marc Elrich, Councilmember Will Jawando, Rev. Julia Jarvis, Rabbi Deborah Reichmann, Rabbi Ethan Seidel, and other representatives of the Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities.

The words of Rabbi Hillel the Elder were invoked " "If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for my own self, what am ‘I’? And if not now, when?" and "What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."

I never dreamed in my darkest moments that I'd ever need to attend or document such a gathering to protest widespread anti-Jewish violence in the United States. Antisemitic hate crimes have risen 57% in the USA since the last presidential election. As Montgomery County Council member Will Jawando eloquently put forth "hate directed at one is hate directed against all."

The crowd sang, and a call and response chant echoed.

"No hate." No fear."























2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures- thanks for sharing.

Lloyd said...

Thanks for your kind words. Shalom/salaam/mir/namaste/pax/peace.